September 7, 2009

What Foster Care Means to My Family

Foster Care to my family has taken on a lot of different meanings. My husband and I got into Foster Care to try and adopt but have found a whole new meaning and purpose through Foster Care.

The kids who have come into our home have not only changed us but those who surround us to support and care for us. My family is by far the most touched by these kids beyond my husband and I. My two sisters and my parents daily carry the burden of our hearts being touched by this phenom en called Foster Care.

My sisters pass clothing and tips, my parents help us babysit give us advise. All of my family has been extremely supportive and I know for a fact without them we could not do what we do for these kids. They also help us figure out nutrition, medicine, schooling, age appropriate behaviours and everything in between!

My parent are our rock! My mama comes and help with laundry (which never seems to stop), cook meals when I cannot get home in time to help, baby sit and support when the world seems to fall apart because a child's needs are greater than what we can help! My dad has been there in ways I cannot fathom for my husband giving him fatherly advise and helping my husband deal with me as a cry over a child I cannot help. (Even one that gets away is too many to us!)

To my family it means interrupted meals, bedtimes, teaching my niece and nephews that this little one's behaviour is not acceptable for him or anyone else but we are working with them. Not exposing my niece and nephew to behaviours that might hurt them or change their sweet spirits. Knowing that we have a little niece and nephews we have to be careful what kids we allow in our house and around them.

But overall my family's flexibility and ability to accept any race, sex or issue in a child has made our journey through Foster Care a lot more enjoyable! I know that Foster Care is not for everyone and is not for everyone who is licensed to be a Foster Care Family. But God has a plan for each and everyone of these kids.

If you are interested in becoming a Foster Parent or Family please leave me a comment and I will get you in contact with your local representative so that you can get the information needed to make an educated decision on if Fostering is the right decision for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment