June 17, 2011

The Value of Life

I was sent a video that shown on BBC recently. The video claimed to show a person's right to die. Their inalienable choice to end their pain and suffering. At first I have to admit I was intrigued by the thought of a person, who had a life threatening disease would fare better by ending their life before becoming a burden on their families. But then little things would slip like saying I want to have some dignity in death.

But last night after finishing the documentary, I was unable to sleep. I kept tossing and turning. I went and read my Bible. I prayed and just felt completely uneasy. I even googled euthanasia. I have never battled depression nor have I ever had a suicidal thought, but I know in my gut my God can overcome all of it! Every dark thought, every ounce of pain, every thought of painful death can be banished!

To watch grown people, decide to end their life based on a theory or guess is so hard to understand. We fight so hard to come into this world it is hard to believe we give up so quickly to end it. All of the people in the documentary spoke about trying everything, except God. In order to have a gastric bypass surgery, a person has to have a year of therapy to ensure they are mentally ready for this change, but to end your life through a major euthanasia group, it takes a person two visits averaging about ten minutes each to move onto getting an appointment to end your life.

I just want to say I chose life in all forms. I chose not to support abortion or euthanasia. I think God supports life in all forms. I think that my God would rather heal a person's emotional and physical wounds than see them end their life.

I know this is such a polarized issue but I am praying for a clearer picture of what God's heart is on this subject. There is a lot of media and politicians moving towards the freedom of a human ending their life as humanely as we do animals, but I think there is a bigger picture at hand. I am interested, what do you think? Where do you stand on the topic of euthanasia? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment